Monday, October 19, 2009

A Correction! and a Contest

I stand corrected. In the last post I stated that William Livingston was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. This is incorrect. He was a signer of the Constitution (from New Jersey as a correctly stated, after being kicked out of New York for saying bad things about the local government in his magazine).



I also hedged and stated he was perhaps the only magazine publisher to sign the D of I. In fact, there was one, who also signed the Constitution as well. Pretty easy to guess who- the incredibly multi-talented printer, publisher, author, scientist, inventor, statesman, ladies' man and one-hundred dollar bill honoree- Benjamin Franklin.



While I'm eating a little crow, how about a little contest. A copy of my 1995 book to the first to identify the woman in the photo below. She holds the distinction of being an important "first" and led a tragic life afterwards. Hint: her first name rhymes with her last.





Good hunting!

No comments: